Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Frustrations

 

I need to vent. First, let me clarify that I LOVE being a mom. I love my kids with all my heart and then some. Hence the reason they are still around.

DISCLAIMER: I realize this post may sound very dramatic, especially in light of much more serious frustrations such as health issues, money problems etc. I am blessed right now to not be dealing with many of those bigger issues. I do have many daily struggles that do not include the below mentioned, but are more personal or topics for another post.

Ok, now for the venting. I was driving home from dropping the oldest 6 at school this morning, reflecting on being a mom of 8 gorgeous, smart, talented kids who bring us a lot of joy. They also bring us- (ME) a lot of intense frustration. This morning I spent at least 20 frantic minutes looking for missing shoes. Alex and Benson have probably 8 pairs of shoes between them and I found a total of 2 this morning. I found about 6 lone shoes whose mates have been abducted, I think. I searched high and low, in the back yard, in the garage even! *Scratching head* I haven't a clue what those kids do with their shoes. Bury them probably.

Which brings me to my next frustration, socks. Why can't they invent socks that are attracted to their mates, so they never get lost? We have a HUGE tub full of socks. I mate them about 2 times a year and for a month or so we all get to enjoy pulling mated socks out to wear each day. Then, unfortunately the joy ends and we all have to find our own mates again. So, that is usually what I am doing in the mornings- either finding mates for Alex and Benson, or picking up spilled socks from the tub. Joy. (Hence the picture above of Spencer, surrounded by socks just before church.)

More of my frustrations: finding dirty dishes anywhere BUT the kitchen. Especially if it is a rotten bottle that tends to explode when touched. Ewww. My kids love to take food to the backyard and enjoy the weather, but forget to bring their dishes back. Cleaning up spilled anything is just not fun for me, and usually occurs on a daily basis. I also loathe cleaning off marker or pen off of the walls. Benson recently decided not to color on the walls, but take a xacto knife to them. Still working on fixing that mess. Painting while children are around is a whole 'nother story.

Summer vacation is coming up, plenty of time for wearing sandals and bare feet and forgetting about socks and shoes all together! It will sure be nice not having to drag kids out of bed every morning to start the hunt all over again. Doesn't solve all of my problems, but you know as soon as they are all grown I will have grand kids around, so I just give up on having anything nice.
Posted by Picasa